2020 is bananas! Not only has this year been pretty crazy, but bananas are having a moment at BoxyCharm, from beauty products featured to our baking recipes. If you’re a BoxyCharm Premium member, you may have received Ole Henriksen’s Banana Bright™ Face Primer (Retail Price: $38) in your August box. We caught up with the founder of the hit skincare brand to find out what inspired his Banana Bright™ collection and how it works to brighten your complexion.
Here’s one thing that may surprise you: it doesn’t contain banana. The Banana Bright™ collection actually is named after banana powder, which was developed by professional makeup artists as a universally flattering setting powder to diminish the look of fine lines, absorb oil and color correct discoloration. Banana powder has a yellow-golden hue that’s complementary for all skin tones.
“I’m proud to say that people around the world are in love with my Banana Bright™ Face Primer,” Ole Henriksen told BoxyCharm during his Instagram takeover. “It’ll instantly brighten and illuminate your skin when you apply it. It’s those light reflecting mineral pigments inspired by banana powder that’ll blur little imperfections and give your skin that beautiful airbrushed look.”
Just because it doesn’t have bananas in it doesn’t mean it’s not packed full of powerhouse ingredients. “While you wear it, you’re also treating your skin with multiple sources of Vitamin C that’s so good for your skin,” he shares. “It’ll help rebuild new collagen and neutralize free radical damage. Apply it in the morning across your entire face and follow with the Banana Bright™ Eye Cream. You’ll have your Ole glow, and you’re ready to go!”
Of course, while in quarantine, Team BoxyCharm has also been spending more time at home and in the kitchen. One of our favorite things to bake these days is this delicious and simple banana bread–it doesn’t even require a mixer! Try it for yourself and tell us: what have you been making at home?
- 2 to 3 very ripe bananas, peeled (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1/3 cup melted butter, unsalted or salted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you would like it less sweet, 1 cup if more sweet)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or raisins (if you prefer)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter a 4×8-inch loaf pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth. Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
3. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour. Add chocolate chips or raisins, if you like.
4. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 350°F (175°C), or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then, remove the banana bread from the pan and let cool completely before serving. Slice, serve and enjoy!